Monday, January 24, 2011

Whatever I Want

Published: January 24, 2011

Most columns have themes. Most columns have focus. Mine does not.

Why? Because I do what I want.

This semester, I’m going to write about whatever crosses my mind. I don’t like being confined to a certain topic, and since I’m the opinion editor, I intend to express my opinion. That’s the power of the press.

According to Dictionary.com, a la mode means three things: 1. According to the prevailing style or fashion, 2. Braised with vegetables in wine and 3. Served with ice cream. I am none of the above; I just thought it would make me sound sophisticated.

I’d like to introduce myself, but we all know you can’t really “know” a person unless you’re friends on Facebook. (That's not an invitation to add me.)

Let me brief you: My profile picture is of my boyfriend and I (he made me), my last status was about picking up my friend from a bar before noon (Cole) and my about me is a quote by Marilyn Monroe (because I’m classy).

That’s pretty much all you need to know about me – no one cares about the important stuff like the fact I’m a journalism major with a minor in political science, I’m graduating this May and I invented the Snuggie in the fourth grade.

This week I begin my final semester at Cal State Fullerton, and while my peers are celebrating, I’m trying to keep my food down.

I am absolutely terrified of graduating.

Graduating college means entering the real world, growing up and functioning as a working member of society – all things I’d rather do later. Facing the reality of finding a job in this economy makes me want to stay in school. I’m not too willing to give up freeloading off my parents (who’ve threatened kicking me out of the nest for the past three years…for the record, I’m still living there.)

According to the Los Angeles Times, “The typical college graduate has virtually no assets and about $23,000 in debt -$20,000 in student loans and $3,000 on credit cards.”  On top of that, the average job search takes about five months, according to the U.S. Labor Department – and unemployment rates have increased since then. How about we stay in college till it all goes away?

I understand that receiving a diploma is a huge step in our adult lives, but I’m not ready for it. I’m comfortable here where I discuss and observe the world beyond the classroom, not partake in it. Am I alone here?

College is my bubble, and until the mess outside is fixed, I’d like to stay here.

No comments:

Post a Comment